The citizens of America live in a Representative Democracy. When the teenagers of our country (that’s us) turn eighteen as most of us will do soon or have already done, we will be able to elect who will lead our government for good, for bad. I myself am very much a Democrat in my beliefs, regardless of whether or not there is another party leading the country (the Republicans). But, what does democracy mean to me?
Really, democracy means one thing to me when it’s said—freedom. Every time I hear the word democracy, I think of our fore fathers coming together and getting our nation up and running. And, what did they believe in? While they may not have believed in same-sex marriage or abortion back then, they always thought of the freedom of the people. After all that’s what started the Revolutionary war.
I think that democracy today means giving people a choice. That you can choose whether you want to be Christian, Wiccan or Buddhist. That you can choose whether you want to marry a man or a woman. That you can choose if you’re going to keep a child made in something less than love. Democracy means giving people a choice of what they want to do, as long as it doesn’t harm others.
Democracy simply is. It has always been in our country, whether or not it has been strong in the country’s mind-set or not. I believe democracy above all things in our government has kept us together as a nation, under higher powers, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment